my observations on everything right and wrong with the world - starting with myself.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I'm getting a free subscription to Motor Trend after attending the Orange County Car Show, but after getting this month's issue and reading the article about their Car of the Year Award selection, I figured it was time to finally write in to the editors.

Here's the letter I sent. I hope it gets published:

How on earth did the Toyota Matrix, Corolla, and Pontiac Vibe become eligible for Car of The Year? The trifecta of blandness all equally received a bottom line conclusion indicating that "you could do better" and reading the brief reviews hinted that the Mazda3 would be much preferred, yet the Mazda3 wasn't even a COTY contender.

If the criteria for vehicles in order to be eligible for COTY are that they are "new or significantly upgraded" as of the new year, then how were the BMW 135 and the Pontiac G8, ahem, Holden Commodore, eligible? Technically, both of these have been on sale for a while - maybe not in the US of A, but still, they're not new. The Subaru Impreza/WRX and Forester are new. There - these three vehicles could have replaced the three stooges of vanilla (no offense to larry, moe, curly, shemp, or to the vanilla bean) that your crew enthusiastically dismissed as being too bland, yet included in the list of contenders.

If I wanted to read about some editors forced to babble and spew drivel about things they're not interested in, I would have gone ahead and read or listened to something that I knew for a fact was biased. Maybe FoxNews followed by NPR followed by Howard Stern, you know, to cover all my bases.


No surprise, the Nissan GT-R won the COTY...but I mean, come on, put a supercar against some sedans and econoboxes, it's no wonder it won.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?