my observations on everything right and wrong with the world - starting with myself.

Monday, May 23, 2005

what's the deal with today's video games?

I got rid of my xbox and traded it for a PS2 hoping to find more kid-friendly games, so my son and I can spend some quality time together playing video games in the future. anyway, the only kid-friendly games I can find have to do with Pokemon or some Disney character or some puzzle game that adults can't even have fun playing.

I did pick up Katamari Damacy which is great, and I've still got Bust-A-Move and driving games, but otherwise, all the games for sale are rated T (for teens) or M (for Mature).

whatever happened to simplicity? whatever happened to games like Super Mario Brothers or Metroid or MegaMan?

now, games like GTA San Andreas and Halo 2 and Mercenaries are not only violent, they're also becoming increasingly popular with kids, even though they all have M ratings. it's true that the gaming industry is becoming more of a commercially-profitable venture as well as a socially-acceptable form of entertainment, but seriously, pre-owned copies of "Playboy, the Mansion" shouldn't be next to "Dragonball Z".

I'm not saying that violent or uniquely-adult games are horrible...I think a lot of them are great and entertaining, however, I don't think they should be marketed to kids.

I love playing video games, but I also want my son to not be jaded by the time he's three years old.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?