my observations on everything right and wrong with the world - starting with myself.

Monday, May 02, 2005

damn, time is passing way too quickly.

anyway, instead of ranting today, I thought I'd post something I found very interesting:

LA Through Postcards


yep. I live in Southern California, and I've been to many of the places on the postcards, but they sure look A LOT different now.

UCLA9.jpg (JPEG Image, 810x499 pixels)

the UCLA/Westwood postcards are especially funny...because I'm very familiar with the area, however, with new buildings sprouting up on campus faster than most freshmen reach senior year, it never looks the same for longer than a few years.

UCLA8.jpg (JPEG Image, 810x504 pixels)

ironically, the dorm I stayed in during my freshman year still looks the same, granted, the building hasn't been tainted by my roommate's and my legacy of taking a dump in every single building on campus, starting with our dorm.

scplaza1.jpg (JPEG Image, 810x514 pixels)

also interesting are the pictures of South Coast Plaza, a luxo-mega mall a few minutes away from my house. there's an overhead picture of South Coast Plaza that shows EMPTY SPACE surrounding the mall...that empty space, obviously, is nonexistent now.

pacificsands.jpg (JPEG Image, 810x521 pixels)

and finally, in the Huntington Beach section, there's a postcard listing new homes that are 'steps away' from the beach...priced between $12K-$15K. amazing. a home that's close to the beach in HB probably costs upwards of $1 MILLION nowadays...


However, I'm glad I live in Socal now and not then. For one thing, if I lived where I live now, but in the 1940's, I'd be living on a ranch and probably a patch of cow patties.

Now, I'm less than a mile away from the 405.

how times change...
Comments:
Things do change immensely. I grew up in the Bay Area and when I go back there, it's like a different world to me. I was just in S. CA. and went to Disneyland and Universal. We had a great time. The Mummy ride at Universal rocks!!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?