my observations on everything right and wrong with the world - starting with myself.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

making money using blogs?

so on the Blogger dashboard this morning, the sidebar has an ad indicating that I can make money from my blog by using Google AdSense.

I think this is hilarious.

why?

AdSense works by scanning the content of the blog text and creating ads based on keywords within the text. So, if I ranted about traffic, ads based on traffic, anger management, and Smith & Wesson pistols may appear. If I ranted about the Academy Awards, ads based on American Idol, Ryan Seacrest, and the latest boy-band may appear.

Unfortunately, this is my blog...with my opinions and my beliefs. I don't even know if anyone visits this blog and I couldn't care less if anyone did.

If you do visit this blog, I wouldn't want to subject you to advertising...because you're already suffering by reading my brain farts. If anything, reading my blog makes you dumber and will probably make you want to commit suicide, but that's fine though. I'm not calling the handful of readers of my blog dumb or stupid. However, I do think that it would be a disservice to those readers by subjecting them to what Google thinks they would be interested in after reading my blog.

if anything, they'd want to totally mess me up by turning their once intelligible thoughts into moronic ones.

but I can't rant against google. One of my good friends works for google, and google has led to countless hours of entertainment...it's funny how much you can find out about your neighbors by googling their addresses.

...and as great as it would be to make money off of my blog, I'd rather have my ideas make money instead of google's ads...mostly because I think google's founders are rich enough as it is...


edit: I just realized how stupid I am - the Academy Awards are for 'movies', the Grammy Awards are for 'music'. AdSense would be pretty stupid if my ranting about the Academy Awards leads to ads for American Idol, Ryan Seacrest, and boy-bands. who cares! it's all just a big popularity contest anyway.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?