my observations on everything right and wrong with the world - starting with myself.

Sunday, January 16, 2005

I just realized that my blog title really doesn't make much sense.

"analog thoughts in a binary world"

WTF?!?!

obviously, I wasn't thinking clearly...since that brainfart of a title makes whoever reads it just a little bit dumber.

I mean...I wanted to get the point across that the world is becoming more and more technology-dependent, but in the midst of it, I'm still doing my own thing. of course, plenty of irony was injected into it since my first post on this blog was about the CCNA.

and in all honesty, we are becoming so dependent on technology that keeping up with new technology is being marketed as essential to survival.

it really isn't.

I know a lot of people that buy new gadgets or upgrade their stuff just for the sake of getting something new or for the sake of getting whatever is best...when what they really need is just to be happy with what they have and learn to use what they have to its maximum potential.

my rule for upgrading is this: when I depend on something on a daily basis, I upgrade whenever economically possible.

I bought my home desktop computer as a cheap refurbished unit from ubid.com in 1998. it still runs just fine and it accomplishes everything we need it to accomplish. granted, I've installed numerous upgrades to it over the years (new video cards...more memory, new hard drive...), but it's still the same slow compaq presario running with a refurbished NEC monitor with "GEMSTAR" burned-in on the display.

now that I've got tons of USB devices and we've got a lot of DV tape waiting to be edited and burned on DVD, I think it's time to upgrade to a new computer, since my trusty compaq won't do everything I need it to do anymore.

I think that's a reasonable excuse. shannon doesn't think so though, so we'll have to wait.

lately, I've been itching to buy a portable media device, since I'm stuck at work all day listening to the same CD over and over again. sure, I can bring my CD's, but then, I'd risk losing them and scratching them up...and I've got pretty eclectic tastes in music, so I'd be switching CD's all the time.

iPods are too trendy. I've never been a trendy person. I don't even fit in with the majority of people who are anti-trendy. small mp3 players are VERY LIMITED and besides, I wouldn't be able to take them to work because most of them have voice recorders.

so, I won an auction on ubid for a Sony Hi-MD minidisc player. it was cheap, it's what I ne(want)ed (there's a bit of 'want' hidden in the 'need'), and for the dork inside me - Hi-MD's can be used as a USB storage device.

whatever. back to researching Hi-MD and googling for reviews on the Sennheiser headphones I just ordered.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?