my observations on everything right and wrong with the world - starting with myself.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Academy Awards are stupid. there. I said it.

I mean, how valid is an award if you nominate yourself for it? not only that, you have to be a member of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences in order to be eligible for an award...so a great film could be made, but completely ineligible because its producers or directors are not union members.

unions are stupid too, but that's another rant for another post.

The Academy Awards is just another popularity contest. I mean...if you really think about it, anything you vote for is just another popularity contest too, be it the president, the best hamburger, the best car...and when was the last time any of us really cared about popularity?


high school. yep. high school.


it's been ten years since I graduated from high school...and in all honesty, I didn't care about being popular then and I sure as hell don't care about being popular now.

here's another thing to think about - think of the dumbest person you know, and chances are that half of the American population is dumber than that guy. SO, you have to look at that popular vote and realize that half the people that voted for it probably just learned how to walk upright.

it's sad to think that so many people care about popularity.

here's another rant...do you remember when MTV actually played music videos? I remember back in the 80's...the only non-video portion of MTV would be the news at the end of every hour and anything with Colin Quinn (Remote Control) and Pauly Shore.

now, MTV caters to a specific crowd who cares about popularity - prepubescent white girls.

...and I don't know about you, I'd like to think that my musical tastes are more complex than those of a 12 year old from Westlake Village.


speaking of popularity and how it's driving the industry, did you know that the majority of electronics development and production in Japan also cater towards prepubescent girls? that's right...japanese schoolgirls are such a tremendous consumer, that without them, innovations in portability and user-friendliness would be nonexistent.

anyway. the Academy Awards are stupid.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?